Here are a few reasons why someone might turn down a job offer irrespective of how much they pay:
- Working hours: They expect you to work long hours. This is the primary reason I would turn down any (maybe upto 500k USD 🙂 ) job offer.
- Job profile: The job profile was not what they thought it was.
- Company culture: The interviewers give a first impression about a company. The candidates might not have liked what they saw.
- Lie: It is not really a 1 crore salary. Read more here: Brijesh Kumar’s answer to I am hearing the packages of 1.5 crores and 75 lakhs these days in IIT campus placements. Where are they made to do their work, in the US or India?
- Money: If you read the above answer, $50,000 (after rent and taxes) is not that big an amount in California.
- Satisfaction: Companies get to decline candidates all the time. So, it would feel really awesome to decline an offer from these companies.
Kudos to all who were not pressurized by money and decided to follow their dreams.