Why is it that a kid playing with batteries, wires, and a light to make a circuit can get shocked, but not a kid playing with magnets?

The nervous system transmits signal electrically, so when we touch an electric wire, it interferes with our nervous system and we experience a shock. There is no such system in human body that directly operates on magnetic energy, so we do not experience a "magnetic shock" when we come close to a small magnet. The presence of very large magnetic fields may have severe affects on the body as explained in this stackexchange answer: Effects of a very large magnetic field on the human body.

See question on Quora

I like to blog about various topics ranging from education in IITs to social issues in India and US. All opinions and views presented here are my own and not of my employer.

Leave a Reply